We are almost approaching the mid-point of Winter which means we’re near half-way there!
With the icy cold temperatures sweeping the country, and the seemingly never-ending days (or weeks, in some cases) of rain, we’re bound to have a few rough days ahead.
Here are a list of 10 things that could help you in your battle with this sodden season.
1. GET YOUR BODY MOVING And your blood flowing
– Allow yourself the time to keep active throughout the week.
– Go for a brisk morning walk (You will be warm and alert by the time you arrive at work)
– Force yourself to get up out of your office chair every hour, even if it’s just for a quick stretch.
– Walk on the spot for 10 minutes while watching the News or Netflix.
– Visit the Gym (or if you’re not using your membership, cancel immediately, save your money, and follow the above steps)
2. KEEP WARM Layer up
– Prepare yourself for cold days by wearing the appropriate winter clothing.
– Have a cosy jacket that you can easily put on/take off when the temperature fluctuates.
– Have multiple layers of bed sheets and blankets.
3. GET SOME VITAMIN D Sunlight is your friend
– Make the most of the sunlight when its out. The vitamin D it provides will vastly improve your mood.
– Take a supplement with Vitamin D if you don’t get the time to catch the sun.
4. EAT DELICIOUS AND WARMING FOODS
– Learn how to cook a nice hearty meal that will warm you up and give you the fuel you need to get through the day.
Here is the link to a delicious Thai Massaman Curry
– Cook enough to factor in leftovers for lunch at work the following day (This will help you save lots of money!)
– Don’t worry about putting on a few extra pounds! It’s our bodies natural way of keeping warm through the cold months!
5. MAKE THE MOST OF BEING INDOORS ON RAINY DAYS
– Read that book that you left off on chapter 2 last Summer.
– Take up a creative online class (lynda and udemy are great places to start)
– Clean your house. This will definitely warm you up, and then you won’t have to worry about it over Summer.
– Store or give away items you no longer use. Being in a tidy environment is a great way to keep on top of everything else.
6. TAKE UP A HOBBY OR INTEREST YOU WANTED TO PURSUE
Photography – This is a great way to get outside and take awesome moody Winter shots while getting exercise at the same time. And don’t forget, we can print these for you on a canvas (check them out here!)
Painting – A perfect activity for a cold, rainy day. There is a great series you can follow along with on Netflix by Bob Ross called “Chill with Bob Ross”.
7. PLAN A HOLIDAY AWAY
– Having a holiday to look forward to is a great way of getting through those rough Winter days.
8. HOST A WINTER POT-LUCK DINNER WITH FRIENDS OR FAMILY
– Have each of your guests bring something delicious and hearty that you can all share.
– Follow this by having a night of games or watching the Rugby (or both!)
9. PUT TOGETHER A WINTER PLAYLIST
Discover new music on YouTube or Spotify to motivate you throughout your day.
10. MAKE A TO-DO LIST FOR YOUR SUMMER HOLIDAY BREAK
This is a great time to start planning what you want to do over the Summer Holiday Break.
Submitted by Ben Harris | Graphic Designer, PDC Mt Eden